Skip to content
My Aged Care Contact Centre will be closed on Good Friday - 19 April and Easter Monday – 22 April. My Aged Care Contact Centre will be open on Saturday 20 April 10am – 2pm.
For information on the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, visit

About the Commonwealth Home Support Programme

  • Eligibility
  • Assessment
  • Services
  • Costs

  • The aim of the CHSP is to help older people live as independently as possible – with a focus on working with you, rather than doing for you. It is about working on your strengths, capacity and goals to help you remain living independently and safely at home.


    You may be eligible under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme if you are:

    • having trouble doing everyday activities without help, and
    • need support to live independently in the community

    and are:

    • 65 years or older (50 years or older and identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person) or
    • 50 years or older (45 years or older for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) and on a low income, homeless or at risk of being homeless.

    If you have been injured or hospitalised you may be eligible for extra services through the program for a short time to help you get back on your feet after you return home.


    To find out if you need an assessment and if you are eligible for help at home services, you should call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. The My Aged Care staff will ask you questions about your current needs and circumstances so they can refer you to appropriate aged care services. You will need to have a home support assessment with a Regional Assessment Service (RAS) before you can be approved for care.


    Depending on your needs, you may be eligible to receive:

    Community and home support

    • domestic assistance - household jobs like cleaning and laundry
    • personal care - help with bathing, showering or getting dressed
    • home maintenance - minor general repairs and care of your house or garden, for example, changing light bulbs or replacing tap washers
    • home modifications - such as alarms, ramps and support rails in your home
    • aids and equipment - such as a bath seat, raised toilet seat or mobility aids
    • nursing care - a qualified nurse to assist with managing medications
    • social support - social activities in a community-based group setting or accompanied activities
    • transport - help getting out and about for shopping or appointments.

    Meals and food services

    • help with shopping for food
    • help with making meals and storing food in your home
    • help with learning to cook
    • delivering meals to your home
    • providing meals at a community centre.

    Allied health support services

    • physiotherapy (exercises, mobility, strength and balance)
    • podiatry (foot care)
    • speech pathology
    • occupational therapy (help to recover or maintain your physical ability)
    • advice from a dietitian (healthy eating)
    • other allied health and therapy services.

    Respite care

    • care for you while your carer takes a break.

    If your carer is in need of additional support, contact the Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737. Find out more about respite care.

    Help with care and housing

    There is support and help for people who are homeless or at risk of being homeless:

    • assessment and referrals to housing and care services
    • advocacy (someone to help guide you through the process).

    Find out more about help with care and housing.


    The Australian Government subsidises a range of aged care services to keep client fees reasonable and affordable.

    If you are eligible, you are expected to contribute to the cost of your care if you can afford to.

    You do not need an income assessment to access CHSP services and your age pension will not be affected by your contributions to the cost of your services.

    You will need to discuss and agree any fees with your service provider before you receive services.

    Service providers should have a fee policy with arrangements for those who are unable to pay their fees due to hardship.



    If you are assessed as eligible to receive Commonwealth Home Support Programme services, you will need to follow the pathway to access services.

    Last reviewed: 7 August, 2018.