Your home will be included as an asset unless it is occupied by a protected person. A protected person is:
- your partner or dependent child
- your carer who has lived with you in the home for the past two years and is eligible for an income support payment
- a close relation, such as a sister, brother, parent, child or grandchild who has lived with you in the home for the past five years and is eligible for an income support payment.
Please note your contribution to your care costs will vary depending on whether you are living with your partner or are permanently separated for health related reasons, so:
- you should answer ‘no’ here if you are permanently living apart from your partner for health related reasons, for example, if your partner is in an aged care home.
- you should answer ‘yes’ if you and your partner are only temporarily separated, for example, if your partner is visiting relatives interstate.