In 2021, the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety provided Australia with a unique opportunity — to put senior Australians first, improving quality, safety and choice in aged care.
Major improvements to aged care are part of an $18.3 billion reform package being delivered over the next 5 years, which will address the Royal Commission’s recommendations and transform Australia’s aged care system.
Our goal is for all Australians to feel confident about accessing high quality and safe aged care, where and when they need it.
Can I have a say?
There are many more changes needed to bring about meaningful, once-in-a-generation change to aged care in Australia.
We invite Australians to continue to engage with us about the aged care reforms.
How can I get involved?
Opportunities to join in the conversation include surveys (online or on the phone), webinars, workshops, interviews and in-person conversations.
To sign up for engagement activities or to find out more, visit the Aged Care Engagement Hub.
What's changing in aged care – Putting senior Australians first
We have made—and will continue to make—changes that will deliver respect, care, and dignity for every senior Australian, including:
- new local, personalised help for senior Australians
- new representative voices for senior Australians
- initiatives to support providers to grow a skilled workforce
- more home care support
- improved quality and safety for people living in residential care
- business support for aged care providers
- support at home to stay independent
- quality of life in residential aged care
- skilled, diverse, and compassionate workforce
- representative voices for senior Australians
- specialist support for people with dementia
- accessible information and independent advocacy
- local, personalised help to understand and access aged care
- culturally safe services that meet diverse needs
- respite and support for families and carers, and
- funding for providers that puts senior Australians first.
News about aged care reforms
Browse our news articles that talk about new aged care home design standards, the Support at Home Program, and other updates on aged care reforms that are in the pipeline.