Skip to content
My Aged Care Contact Centre will be closed on Good Friday - 19 April and Easter Monday – 22 April. My Aged Care Contact Centre will be open on Saturday 20 April 10am – 2pm.
For information on the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, visit
Resident reading an agreement

Rights and responsibilities - residential care

No matter which aged care home you live in, your rights and responsibilities are the same. To protect these rights and responsibilities, there is legislation that all Australian Government-subsidised aged care homes must follow, such as the Aged Care Act 1997 (the Act).

'Residential care' refers to the care and services you receive when living in an aged care home.

Charter of Care Recipients' Rights and Responsibilities - Residential Care

The Charter of Care Recipients' Rights and Responsibilities - Residential Care (the Charter) outlines the rights and responsibilities of you and your aged care home.

Where can I get a copy of the Charter?

The Charter should be displayed in your aged care home. Or, you can ask your home for a copy when they offer you your Resident Agreement, if it is not already included in the Agreement.

You can also view a copy of the Charter on the Department of Health website.

Standards of care

The aged care system in Australia aims to make sure that all older people can receive care and services when they need them. Aged care homes are owned and run by people who are approved by the Australian Government to care for you.

The Government monitors the quality of care and services provided in aged care homes in a number of ways. Homes have to meet Accreditation Standards and show that they are continuously striving to improve the quality of their care and services.

If the Department of Health is aware that an aged care home does not meet their requirements under the Act, it may issue a Notice of Non-Compliance or impose sanctions on that home. When you search for a home using the aged care homes finder, you can see if a home has a sanction in place.

How to make a complaint

If you, your carer, or anyone else is concerned about the care or services you receive, you can make a complaint to your aged care home. This can be the quickest and most effective way to find a solution.

If you don't feel comfortable speaking with your service provider, or if your complaint isn't resolved at that level, you can contact the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission, independent aged care advocacy services, or another appropriate organisation who can handle complaints related to your services. Read more about how to make a complaint.

Notices of Non-Compliance

An aged care home may receive a Notice of Non-Compliance if it doesn't give you the care and services you need. Read more about a Notice of Non-Compliance.


A service provider can receive a sanction when there's a serious problem with care they provide. Read more about sanctions an how they may affect you.

Last reviewed: 31 December, 2018.