Skip to content
Man looking at a computer

Aged Care Complaints Commissioner

The Aged Care Complaints Commissioner provides a free service you can use if you have a concern or complaint about any of the care and services you receive from an Australian Government-subsidised service provider. The Commissioner accepts confidential and anonymous complaints.

The Commissioner handles complaints about:

What can I make a complaint about?

You can make a complaint about any area that impacts your health, safety or wellbeing, such as the care you receive, your living conditions, how you interact with the staff or your daily lifestyle.

Who do I complain to?

If you feel comfortable, the first thing you should do is let your service provider know about your concerns. Most of the time, your service provider is best placed to resolve complaints and alleviate your concerns. This can be the quickest and most effective way to find a solution.

If you don't feel comfortable speaking with your service provider, or if your complaint hasn't been resolved, contact the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner.

Who can make a complaint?

Anyone can make a complaint about aged care or services, including:

  • you (the person receiving care)
  • your family members, friends or representatives
  • aged care staff
  • volunteers
  • advocates
  • health professionals.

How do I contact the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner?

Aged Care Complaints Commissioner
GPO Box 9848
(Your capital city and state or territory)

What happens after I lodge a complaint?

When you lodge a complaint with the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner, the process will be explained to you. You may be asked to provide more details.

The more information you provide when you lodge your complaint the better. It will help the Complaints Commissioner understand all the issues and determine the best way to resolve your concerns.

The Complaints Commissioner will work with you and the service provider to resolve your issue as quickly as possible. You will be consulted regularly throughout the process.

What if I'm not happy with how my complaint is handled?

If you have lodged a complaint with the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner and are not happy with the decision or how your complaint was handled, you can provide feedback and ask the Complaints Commissioner to review the decision.

The Aged Care Complaints Commissioner's fact sheet, 'Review rights', outlines what your options are when seeking a review of the Commissioner's decision or how your complaint was handled.

If you're still unsure about your review rights, call the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner on 1800 500 294.

Seeking a review by the Commonwealth Ombudsman

If you are not satisfied with the outcome offered by the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner, you can ask the Commonwealth Ombudsman to investigate your complaint.

The Ombudsman's role is to review the actions and decisions of Australian Government agencies, including the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner, to see if they are wrong, unjust, unlawful, discriminatory or unfair.

You can contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman through their website or by calling 1300 362 072.

Information in other languages

If you would like more information in your language, please visit the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner website for more details.

Last reviewed: 10 December, 2016.