Skip to content
My Aged Care Contact Centre will be closed on Good Friday - 19 April and Easter Monday – 22 April. My Aged Care Contact Centre will be open on Saturday 20 April 10am – 2pm.
For information on the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, visit

How do I get help to talk to My Aged Care?

If you are an older person who would like a family member, carer or someone else you trust to talk to My Aged Care for you, you need to agree to them doing so. You can either agree to this each time you speak to My Aged Care, or you can nominate this person to be your representative.

If you are a carer, family member or someone else who would like to help someone with My Aged Care, read more on Talking to My Aged Care for someone.

What is a representative?

Agreeing for someone to be your representative in My Aged Care allows them to speak and act for you. A representative can do things for you like:

  • give information to My Aged Care, including talking to assessors, the My Aged Care contact centre and service providers
  • make decisions about aged care assessment and referrals for aged care services
  • see and update your information through the contact centre or on the My Aged Care client record on myGov
  • be listed as your primary contact so they are the first contact point for My Aged Care.

Setting up a representative

If you are capable of giving consent for someone to speak and act for you, you can put a regular representative in place. You can set up a regular representative at any time, including when you first contact My Aged Care or after your assessment.

There are three ways to put in place a regular representative:

  • Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 with your chosen representative. My Aged Care can call your representative later if they can’t be with you for this call, or
  • Complete the My Aged Care 'Appointment of a Representative' form and fax it to My Aged Care (1800 728 174) or mail it to My Aged Care, PO Box 210, Balwyn, Victoria, 3103, or
  • If your representative is with you at your aged care assessment, you can ask the assessor to add them as your representative then.

You need an authorised representative if you are not capable to give consent for someone else to speak for you. Legal documents are needed to set up an authorised representative so that My Aged Care knows they can legally represent you.

My Aged Care will need to create a client record for your representative so they know they are speaking to the right person each time the representative contacts My Aged Care.

Changing a representative

If you don’t want someone to be your regular representative any more, you can call My Aged Care to cancel the representation.

If you no longer need an authorised representative, your authorised representative will need to call My Aged Care to make the change.

Other options for getting help with My Aged Care

If a carer, family member or other support person can’t be your representative and you would like help to talk to My Aged Care, someone else you trust can speak for you if you agree to them doing so.

Health professionals

Health professionals, like your GP or community nurse, can make a referral to My Aged Care for you without needing to become a representative.

Aged care service providers

Some older people who can’t talk with My Aged Care over the phone for various reasons may be able to go direct to an aged care assessment without them speaking directly to the contact centre. This includes an older person who:

  • has a medical condition that means they can’t talk on the phone
  • is Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and who due to past experience doesn’t feel comfortable talking on the phone
  • has poor hearing or is deaf and doesn’t have the technology to use the National Relay Service
  • lives in a remote community and does not have phone access or reception
  • doesn’t speak English and their language isn’t available on the Translating and Interpreting Service
  • is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

If you can’t talk to My Aged Care for one of the above reasons, a range of people can support you without becoming your representative including service providers and other support services.

If you don’t meet the above reasons and do not want to speak to My Aged Care, you will need to put in place a representative. Any individual such as a family member, carer or a staff member from a service provider can agree to be your regular representative.

Advocacy Services

Another option is to use advocacy services. Advocacy services provided by the National Aged Care Advocacy Program can help you to access and use the aged care system, understand your aged care rights and support you when talking to your aged care service provider.

If you choose, they may also speak to My Aged Care for you and help you understand aged care services, and help you make decisions about the care you receive.

Sharing this information

An information sheet outlining the above information can be found here.

Additional information

The My Aged Care privacy statement explains what information is collected from you and your representative, what it is used for and how we protect the privacy of Australians using the My Aged Care service.

Last reviewed: 2 July, 2017.