Skip to content
For information on the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, visit
Two aged care home administrators having a discussion

Advocacy services

An advocacy service may be able to help you:

  • access Australian Government funded aged care services
  • raise concerns about services you are receiving.

The Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) is funded to provide free, confidential and independent advocacy support to older people, their families and representatives across Australia.

An advocate can:

  • give you information about your aged care rights and responsibilities
  • listen to your concerns
  • help you to resolve concerns or complaints with your aged care service provider
  • assist you in making decisions about the care you receive
  • speak with your service provider on your behalf
  • refer you to other agencies when needed.

Who can access advocacy services?

Anyone receiving or looking to receive Australian Government funded aged care services can use an advocacy service, including people who:

More information

Call the National Aged Care Advocacy Line on 1800 700 600 (freecall) or visit the Older Persons Advocacy Network website to find out more about advocacy services.

Last reviewed: 21 June, 2017.