Skip to content
Men in aged care home having a meal

People facing homelessness

For older people with unpredictable housing arrangements or even homelessness, there are aged care services which can provide support and help deal with housing problems.

If you’re an older person who is renting, in an insecure housing situation or who is facing homelessness, affordable housing can be accessed through aged care services.

Assistance with Care and Housing services delivered under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme can link you with a provider – usually a charitable or religious organisation – to find better, more stable accommodation. Once this is organised, you might then be linked to other services to receive help at home or in the community.

Aged care homes provide care and accommodation services for people facing homelessness, with some aged care homes specialising in caring for this group.

Last reviewed: 8 June, 2017.