There is a growing number of services and providers of aged care in rural and remote areas. Call us on 1800 200 422 for more information about services near you.
Services in small communities
A Multi-Purpose Service (MPS) provides combined health and aged care services for some rural and remote communities. They are generally located in small communities where it would not be viable to operate a separate hospital and aged care home. There are Multi-Purpose Services in all states, the Northern Territory and Norfolk Island.
Multi-Purpose Services deliver a flexible mix of services to best meet the community’s health and aged care needs. All Multi-Purpose Services deliver residential care and some services deliver care in the home. Contact your local MPS to find out more about the services they deliver and the support they can provide. You can use the Find a provider tool to search for services in your area.
Services near country centres
There are aged care homes in many country centres, and there is a growing range of services, including hospitals, community services, and family support.
To see what aged care services are available in your area, use the Find a provider tool or call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.
Other programs and services in rural and remote areas
To make sure people living in rural and remote areas have access to similar services to people living in cities, the Australian Government has programs and services in these areas. Examples include:
- primary health services in over 900 rural communities
- extra health services, such as mental health and social workers, podiatrists, physiotherapists and dietitians
- improved access to specialist medical services
- support for local doctors
- support for rural private hospitals and aged care services
- aged care services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- higher Medicare rebates for visits to doctors who haven’t received their vocational registration.
There are also supplements and limited capital grants available to aged care homes and services in rural and remote areas. This funding helps providers to offer quality aged care services in these areas.