Skip to content
For information on the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, visit
Two woman in an office talking

Useful contacts for carers

If you’re caring for someone, there are a range of organisations and programs around Australia that may be able to help you. This can be by providing respite care to help you take a break, or through counselling, information and advocacy services.

Some of these contacts and resources are listed below. Click on the organisations’ names to visit their websites or contact them directly to find out how they may be able to help you.

Organisation or resource What they do Contact
Carer Gateway A national online and phone service that provides practical information and resources to support carers. 1800 422 737
Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centres These centres can help link carers to a wide range of aged care services to help at home and in the community, including short-term and emergency respite services. The centres also provide information about services for people of any age with a disability. 1800 052 222
Carers Australia The peak national body representing carers of people with a disability, mental illness, chronic condition or those who are frail or aged. Carers Australia provides information, support, education, training and counselling. 1800 242 636
Carer support groups Carer support groups are sometimes organised around specific conditions. For information about these groups in your area, read about caring for someone with a particular need, or call My Aged Care. 1800 200 422
Department of Human Services - financial assistance for carers Carer payments and allowances are available for some carers. Call the Department of Human Services to find out if you’re eligible. 132 717
Department of Veterans' Affairs The Department runs a variety of support groups and training sessions for carers of veterans and veterans who are carers. Call the department to find out more about whether you or the person you care for may be eligible for these services. 133 254
Independent Living Centres These are information resource centres that display products and equipment to help with day-to-day living activities. You and the person you care for can try out products on display and talk to the centre’s occupational therapists on their infolines. Staff are trained to match products and services to your needs and can help you locate suppliers of special-needs equipment. 1300 885 886
Young Carers An initiative of Carers Australia, Young Carers provides information and support groups specifically to meet the needs of young carers. 1800 242 636
National Continence Helpline The National Continence Helpline is staffed by a team of continence nurse advisers who give information, education and advice to callers with incontinence or who are caring for someone with incontinence. The Helpline also provides information and advice to health professionals. 1800 33 00 66
Dementia Behaviour Management Advisory Service The Dementia Behaviour Management Advisory Service provides clinical support for people caring for someone living with dementia who is showing behavioural and psychological symptoms. 1800 699 799

Last reviewed: 2 May, 2018.