Caring for someone with a disability
Caring for someone with a disability can be tiring, both physically and emotionally. The support of family, friends and community services is important.
Aged care services that provide support for the older person with a disability include:
- home maintenance and modifications including repairs, garden maintenance, and installation of handrails and ramps
- goods and equipment such as a walking frame or raised toilet seat
- allied health including occupational therapy, dietitian services, and physiotherapy
- respite care, which lets you take a break while the person you care for is looked after at home, in a community centre, or in an aged care home
- Independent Living Centres, which have products and equipment to help manage disabilities in daily life.
Read about the different aged care services available for older people with a disability.