Caring for someone with a disability can be tiring both physically and emotionally. The support of family, friends and community services is important.
Aged care services that provide support for the older person with a disability include:
- home maintenance and modifications including repairs, garden maintenance and installation of hand rails and ramps
- goods and equipment such as a walking frame or raised toilet seat
- allied health including occupational therapy, dietitian services and physiotherapy
- respite care, which lets you take a break while the person you care for is looked after at home, in a community centre or in an aged care home
- Independent Living Centres, which have products and equipment to help manage disabilities in daily life.
Read about eligibility for older people with a disability to access aged care services.