If you’re a veteran, a war widow or widower, the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) has services to help you live independently in your own home.
Veterans’ Home Care Program
The Veterans’ Home Care Program (VHC) has services to support eligible veterans, war widows and widowers including:
- domestic assistance
- personal care
- safety related home and garden maintenance
- respite care (in-home, residential and emergency).
To receive these services, Gold or White Repatriation Health Card holders need to have an assessment. Call a VHC assessment agency on 1300 550 450 to arrange an assessment. Veterans may be eligible for home help services through other programs or packages if they are not eligible for the VHC Program.
Community Nursing Program
The Community Nursing Program helps eligible veterans, war widows and widowers to continue living in their own homes by helping to manage clinical or personal care needs. Services include:
- medication management
- wound care
- help with hygiene.
To receive these services, eligible veterans need a referral for an assessment from a health professional. This could be your GP, a nurse practitioner, a treating doctor in hospital, a hospital discharge planner or a VHC assessment agency. For more information, contact 1800 555 254, or read DVA Factsheet HSV16 - Community Nursing Services.
Other services for veterans
Other services for veterans, war widows and widowers include:
- aids and appliances through the Rehabilitation Appliance Program
- Veterans’ and Veterans’ Families Counselling Service – a specialised, free and confidential Australia-wide counselling and group program for Australian veterans, peacekeepers and their families. For more information, contact 1800 011 046
- Veterans’ Access Network – a network of DVA regional offices throughout Australia providing information and support about DVA services and entitlements. For more information, contact 1800 113 304.
As well as services offered by DVA, My Aged Care provides help both in the home and in residential aged care. Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.