Skip to content
My Aged Care Contact Centre will be closed on Good Friday - 19 April and Easter Monday – 22 April. My Aged Care Contact Centre will be open on Saturday 20 April 10am – 2pm.
For information on the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, visit
Woman in bus stop looking at the traffic

People who are financially disadvantaged

The Australian Government subsidises a range of aged care services so that all older people have fair access to aged care. It is expected you’ll contribute to the cost of your care if you can afford to. You will never be denied a service you need because you can’t pay for it.

Financial assistance

The Department of Human Services (DHS) provides financial assistance through payments such as:

  • Aged Pension – income support and access to a range of concessions for eligible older Australians
  • Disability Support Pension – financial support if you have a permanent physical, intellectual or psychiatric condition that stops you from working, or if you are permanently blind
  • Mobility Allowance – financial assistance for people who travel to do an approved activity but can’t use public transport on their own because of disability, illness or injury.

Carers may be able to get help through payments such as:

  • Carer Payment – financial support to people who cannot work in substantial paid employment because they care every day for someone with severe disability or medical condition, or to someone who is frail aged
  • Carer Allowance – a fortnightly income supplement for people who care for someone every day who has a disability or serious illness or is frail aged.

DHS also has information about payments and services such as:

  • Rent Assistance
  • Concession cards
  • Financial Information Service (FIS) – a free and independent financial service available to anyone. Call 13 23 00.

Help with aged care costs

If you can’t afford to pay for your aged care costs, there is financial hardship assistance available.

This means the Australian Government will pay some or all of your fees and charges. Each case is assessed on an individual basis, looking at a range of issues.

Read more about financial hardship assistance or contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

For veterans

If you’re a veteran, you can receive financial assistance through the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA). To find out more, contact the DVA on 133 254.

Legal aid

National Legal Aid helps people with the costs of resolving a legal problem. Services include advice, information, representation and negotiation.

Last reviewed: 17 July, 2017.