Skip to content
My Aged Care Contact Centre will be closed on Good Friday - 19 April and Easter Monday – 22 April. My Aged Care Contact Centre will be open on Saturday 20 April 10am – 2pm.
For information on the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, visit
Elderly man with dog

People with disabilities

Many older people like to live in their own home, but if you’re also living with a disability this can be hard without help. There are services that offer care and support so you can stay living independently at home.

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

The NDIS supports choice for eligible people with disability, their families and carers. People who start the NDIS before age 65 may choose to keep receiving services under the scheme as they age. For more information, visit the NDIS website or phone 1800 800 110.

Continuity of Support Programme

To be eligible for the Continuity of Support (CoS) Programme, you must be a person with disability who:

  • is 65 years and over, or 50-64 years if you are an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander person, when the NDIS starts in your area
  • has been assessed as not eligible for the NDIS under 'becoming a participant rules', and
  • is an existing client of state specialist disability services when CoS starts in your area.

Read the information for clients webpage to find out more.

If you are NOT eligible for the CoS Programme and are aged 65 and over, other support options are available to enter aged care.

Help at home

If you’re generally able to manage but need help with daily tasks or need minor modifications to your home, Commonwealth Home Support Programme services may be right for you. You will need to be assessed as being eligible to receive these services.

If you are receiving support through a Home Care Package, you may also be able to get some help for home maintenance and minor modifications.

For carers

There are short-term and emergency respite services available. Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centres can offer advice about services in your local area. You can contact your local centre by calling 1800 052 222.

Other services

Independent Living Centres offer a range of products and equipment and you can decide which one best suits your needs.

Seeing an occupational therapist or physiotherapist can also be useful. They can offer advice on equipment and modifications to make living easier. They can also help you work out the safest way to lift or move the person you care for. Ask your doctor for a referral.

Local councils often run home maintenance schemes to help make your home safer and easier to manage. You can contact your local council for more information.

Last reviewed: 23 July, 2017.