Skip to content
Elderly Asian man and carer

People from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds

If you’re an older person from a culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) background, or you’re caring for an older person from a CALD background, there are aged care services specifically for you. Many organisations now offer specific diets, activities, languages or spiritual needs, whatever your cultural, linguistic or spiritual background.

If you speak a language other than English, you can call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450 for support to talk to My Aged Care or with your aged care provider about your services.

TIS National covers more than 100 languages and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for the cost of a local call.

My Aged Care can help you access aged care information in other languages.

There are also printable brochures, posters and spoken information in other languages to help you get started with My Aged Care.

Partners in Culturally Appropriate Care

There are organisations in each state and territory that work as part of the Partners in Culturally Appropriate Care (PICAC) program to:

  • support aged care providers to deliver culturally appropriate care to older people from CALD communities
  • help older CALD people and their families make informed decisions about their aged care needs.

PICAC organisations run a range of activities including training, information sessions, workshops, and resource development.

Find out more from each state’s PICAC organisations listed below:

See what others have done

Last reviewed: 6 May, 2018.