Assessment decision: Aged care homes
After your face-to-face assessment, the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) will send you a letter.
The letter will contain:
- The assessment approval decision
- the services you are eligible to receive (including referral code)
- the reasons and evidence supporting the decision
- your support plan.
I’m eligible - what now?
Once you receive your approval letter, you should start with two main steps:
- Finding an aged care home
Every home is different. It’s important to explore available providers and the services they offer to be able to find the right place for you. For a step-by-step guide to selecting the best aged care home, read our Connecting with aged care homes page.
- Understanding the costs
There are various fees you may be asked to pay when moving to an aged care home. If you are eligible, you are expected to contribute to the cost of your accommodation and care if you can afford to.
To find out exactly what you will need to pay, you will need to have a means assessment. This assessment takes time, so the sooner you start the process, the better. You can find more information on this process and different costs on the aged care home costs page.
What happens if I’m not eligible?
If you receive your letter and you aren’t eligible for an aged care home, don’t worry. It is possible to apply for care and be approved for one care type and not another. Your letter will outline the other services that can assist you with your care needs. You may want to explore these services, or you may want to look at private aged care options to figure out the right fit for you.
If you have any questions about the assessment process, including your decision, there are actions you can take:
- Discuss your concerns with your assessor. This is typically the best way to resolve any issues. You can have a friend or relative help with this if you wish.
- Request a review of the decision, free of charge. Information about how to do this will be included in your letter. You can also find out more information on the Contact us page.
If your care needs change at any time, you can request a new assessment by contacting My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.