We've made some changes to this site to make it easier for you to find the information you're looking for. We'll keep improving the website, so let us know what you think by emailing us at AACEI@health.gov.au or by completing the survey if it pops up.

Register to be assessed

Before you can access government funded aged care services, you must register with My Aged Care.

To register, call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 with your Medicare card ready:

  • You will be asked questions over the phone to help work out your care needs and whether you need a formal assessment - this takes at least ten minutes.
  • With your consent, a client record will be created to register you with My Aged Care.
  • You may want to have someone with you during the phone call (this can be a carer, friend or family member).
  • If you would like someone to call My Aged Care for you, you will need to give them your consent.
  • If you're calling for someone else, they will need to give their consent.
  • If you speak a language other than English you can ask for an interpreter and My Aged Care will organise one over the phone.

Based on the information you give My Aged Care, you may be referred for a formal assessment with a My Aged Care assessor to better understand your needs.

Read more about how assessment works.

Last reviewed: 14 February, 2018.