Skip to content
My Aged Care Contact Centre will be closed on Good Friday - 19 April and Easter Monday – 22 April. My Aged Care Contact Centre will be open on Saturday 20 April 10am – 2pm.
For information on the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, visit

Privately funded services

Privately funded services are not subsidised or regulated by the Australian Government. If you wish to access these services you will need to pay the full cost regardless of your care needs or financial situation.

You may want to think about getting privately funded services if you have had an assessment of your care needs through My Aged Care and:

  • are not found to be eligible for Australian Government subsidised aged care services, or
  • are found to be eligible but are waiting for funded services to become available.

Your assessor can tell you about privately funded services in your area.

Services in your home

There are a range of private services available to help you if needed at home, like gardening, cleaning, transport or allied health and therapy services.

You can look for services in your area using either your local phone directory or an online search engine.

You can also use the 'help at home' service finder tool. Please note: not all service providers listed accept private clients who are not approved for care by My Aged Care.


Retirement villages or independent living units offer a range of services for older people who need less care than offered by aged care homes.

They are not regulated or subsidised by the Australian Government and are not listed on the My Aged Care website.

Retirement villages or independent living units are regulated by state and territory governments. To find out more, try a search engine, with terms like 'retirement village regulation' in your state or territory.

Last reviewed: 3 April, 2018.