Hand dialling a number on a mobile phone

Elder abuse concerns

No older person should be subjected to any form of abuse, often referred to as 'elder abuse'. Elder abuse can be physical, psychological or emotional, sexual or financial. It can also be the result of intentional or unintentional neglect.

The World Health Organization defines elder abuse as "a single, or repeated act, or lack of appropriate action, occurring within any relationship where there is an expectation of trust which causes harm or distress to an older person".

More information

Each state and territory provides information about abuse and abuse prevention, and useful contacts and options for getting help:

State/territory Organisation or resource Contact
Australian Capital Territory Older Persons Abuse Prevention Referral and Information Line (APRIL) 02 6205 3535
New South Wales NSW Elder Abuse Helpline 1800 628 221
Northern Territory Northern Territory Police 131 444
Queensland Elder Abuse Prevention Unit 1300 651 192
South Australia Aged Rights Advocacy Service
Alliance for the Prevention of Elder Abuse
08 8232 5377 (Adelaide)
1800 700 600 (rural)
Tasmania Tasmanian Elder Abuse Helpline 1800 441 169
Victoria Seniors Rights Victoria 1300 368 821
Western Australia Advocare Inc. 1300 724 679 (Perth)
1800 655 566 (rural)

Last reviewed: 29 November, 2016.