If you want to access government-funded aged care, My Aged Care can help you every step of the way—from finding out the types of care available to applying for an assessment to connecting with providers and managing existing services.
There are 3 key ways of engaging with My Aged Care: online, over the phone, and face-to-face. This page explains how these options work and how you can use them to get the information and support you need in the way that best suits you.
Depending on which step of the My Aged Care process you're at, the way you access information and support may change. You can choose one option or a combination, depending on your needs and preferences.
Get information and complete key steps online
The My Aged Care website (the site you are currently on) has information and tools that can help with every step of researching, applying for, accessing, and managing aged care services.
If you’re wondering whether you need support, or want to find out what kind of services are available and how to access them, the My Aged Care website has detailed information:
- Types of care: Explore the different types of care and which type might suit you based on your needs.
- Help explorer: See how other people dealt with similar situations to yours, and learn about the services they found helpful and how you might access those services.
- Income and means assessments: Find out if you need to complete an income assessment or means assessment, depending on your financial situation.
- Fee estimator: Use this tool to get an idea of how much you might have to pay towards your Home Care Package or aged care home.
- Frequently asked questions: Browse information about what to do and what to prepare for when you’re starting to look for aged care support or services.
Apply for and access services
If you’re ready to apply for services, or if you’ve been assessed and approved for services, these tools can help you:
- Eligibility checker: Answer a few quick questions to see if you are eligible to apply for an assessment.
- Apply online: If you’re eligible for an assessment, you can apply for an assessment online. It will only take 15-20 minutes.
- Find a provider: Use this tool to search for aged care providers in your area who meet your needs.
- Online Account: When you register with My Aged Care, with your consent a personalised record is created for you. This is called your client record, and you can access it by logging into your Online Account using myGov. Your Online Account contains important information about you, your aged care services, and your interactions with My Aged Care.
If you are currently receiving aged care services, there may be times when you need to make some changes to them. Whatever your situation, we have information that can help you manage your services:
- Manage services: If you need to make some changes to your service arrangements (for example, what services you need or when you need them delivered), it’s important to know what your options are, what you are entitled to, and how to make the necessary changes. This page provides this information, specific to the type of care you are receiving.
- Online Account: You can keep track of your My Aged Care interactions by logging into your Online Account using myGov. You can also use the Online Account to check the details and interactions of someone you represent.
- Complaints: If you have concerns about any aspect of your aged care experience or someone else’s, you can raise them with My Aged Care.
Give us a call
If you prefer talking to someone on the phone, our staff are trained to talk to people in a range of situations. We most commonly help people over the phone with:
- registering with My Aged Care
- accessing aged care services in an emergency
- checking eligibility for an assessment
- managing and updating your services or information
- setting up a representative.
You can call the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422.
This number is free to call from Australian landlines and some mobile phones. Please check with your mobile service provider.
We are open:
- Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
- Saturday: 10am to 2pm
(Closed on Sundays and national public holidays)
If you are calling from overseas, dial +61 2 6289 1555 (Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm AEST) and ask for the My Aged Care contact centre.
Visit us in person
Face-to-face My Aged Care support is available at a growing number of locations, nationwide. This support is offered together with Services Australia who have Aged Care Service Officers (ACSOs) at selected service centres in every state and territory.
Check the Services Australia website to see if face-to-face support is offered near you.
Depending on where you’re located, ACSOs can provide the following support:
- in-depth information on the different types of aged care services
- checking your eligibility for services and making a referral for an aged care assessment
- helping you appoint a representative for My Aged Care
- providing detailed financial information about aged care services and what costs and fees you may need to pay
- connecting you to local support services.
To book an appointment with an ACSO, call the Services Australia Aged Care line on 1800 227 475. They are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm.