Skip to content
For information on the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, visit

3. Enter into a flexible care agreement

After you have been assessed as eligible for short-term restorative care, follow this pathway:

Flexible care agreement

When you have found a service provider that can provide you care, your provider will offer you a "flexible care agreement" for short-term restorative care.

The flexible care agreement between you and your service provider sets out:

  • what care they will provide
  • how your care will be provided
  • how much it will cost.

A flexible care agreement must be offered to you before you start receiving care.

Your care plan

A care plan is part of your flexible care agreement.

The care plan you develop with your service provider should include:

  • your goals and needs
  • the exact types of services you will receive
  • who will provide which services
  • when your services are delivered
  • the dates when the care and services will be provided
  • how much your care will cost
  • what should be in place when your short-term restorative care ends.

Your care plan cannot be changed unless you agree. Your service provider must give you a copy of any agreed changes to the care plan.

The flexible care agreement and care plan should include the responsibilities of the service provider, you and your carer.

You and your service provider can review your care as needed.

It can also change when you and your support team need to revise your plan goals.

Personal goals

It is important to know what your goals are when you enter short-term restorative care. These goals are about what you want it to do for you and how it will help you to keep your independence.

Some questions to consider are:

  • What is important to me?
  • What do I enjoy doing the most?
  • What makes my life enjoyable and meaningful?
  • What type of things might help improve my day-to-day life?
  • What support do I need to stay independent?
  • Where and when do I want that support?

Help creating your care plan

You can have another person, such as a carer or family member, with you to help put together your care plan. You can also call an advocate to help you when talking with a service provider.

You or your advocate can review your agreement and care plan, negotiate with your service provider about fees and charges, and raise any concerns. Read more about advocacy services.

Signing the flexible care agreement

If you cannot sign the short-term restorative care agreement because of any physical or medical problems, another person representing you may sign the agreement for you.

If you choose to not sign the agreement, the service provider still needs to talk with you about the care and services you need. It is important that the service provider records your reasons for not signing the agreement and why you are getting the types of services you have agreed on.

The service provider should always be able to provide proof that you have agreed to your care. This may include a copy of your agreement, a file note of the discussion with you about the agreement (including the date) and that you are receiving short-term restorative care as shown in the agreement.



If you are receiving short-term restorative care services, go to manage your services.

Last reviewed: 18 February, 2018.