Skip to content
For information on the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, visit

Not sure? Start here

What help is available
You may be eligible to receive services such as:
Help at home
  • personal care like help getting dressed
  • transport
  • modifications to your home, such as hand rails or ramps
  • nursing, physiotherapy and other care
  • meals and help with cooking
  • household jobs like cleaning or gardening
  • equipment like walking frames
  • social activities.
Short-term help
  • when you have had a setback and want to get your independence back
  • recovery from an accident or illness, including after a hospital stay
  • when you or your carer needs a break (respite care).
Care in an aged care home
If you find you need ongoing help with day-to-day tasks or health care, an aged care home lets you live in a supported environment where help is available 24 hours a day.
Who's eligible
You may be eligible for Australian Government funded aged care services if you’re an older person (usually 65+ or 50+ for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) finding it harder to do the things you used to do.
You will need to have a face-to-face assessment of your care needs to find out if you are eligible.
Everyone who has an assessment through My Aged Care and is found to need services, is eligible to access services that:
  • may be partly or fully funded by the Australian Government; and
  • are regulated by the Australian Government.
If you’re not assessed as eligible, or are waiting for services, you can access privately funded services at any time.
Get an idea about costs
The Australian Government contributes to the cost of aged care services. You’re expected to contribute if you can afford to. Costs vary for different types of care and different service providers. There are no standard costs for aged care services.
How much you pay depends on:
  • your financial situation
  • the number and types of services you receive
  • the service provider’s fees.
If you’re ready to access services, call My Aged Care to find out which type of aged care you may be assessed for. Read about costs for that type of care or program under Find and set up services.
If you’re going to be assessed for a Home Care Package, or care in an aged care home, it’s important to get a financial assessment from the Department of Human Services as soon as possible. This will help you to work out costs with service providers when you’re ready to find and set up your services.
Updating details in My Aged Care
If you are registered with My Aged Care, or are receiving any aged care services subsidised by the Australian Government, you should inform My Aged Care if your circumstances change.

This includes if:
  • you move to a new address or change your postal details
  • you change your name
  • you need to add or remove a representative
  • the person passes away.
The My Aged Care contact centre will need:
  • full name
  • AC Number
  • date of birth
  • address.
The contact centre is open between 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and from 10am to 2pm on Saturdays on 1800 200 422.

The Australian Department of Human Services also has a useful checklist of people and organisations you may need to contact if someone has passed away.

Last reviewed: 2 May, 2019.