How to make a complaint

If you're concerned about the care or services you receive from an aged care home, Home Care Package or the Commonwealth Home Support Programme service, there are two ways you can make a complaint:

Raising concerns with a service provider

Most organisations and aged care homes have complaint procedures in place to work through the concern with you. We suggest you first talk to your service provider about your complaint and see if they can help. It often works best if you, or the person representing you, talk directly to the provider to sort out any problems. They are there to help you and will listen to your concerns.

If you like, you can have a family member, friend, carer or an aged care advocate come with you when you meet with your aged care service provider.

Whether you make your complaint verbally, in writing or anonymously, the service provider must deal with your complaint.

Making a complaint to the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner

Sometimes, complaints can't be resolved by the service provider, or you might not feel comfortable raising your concern with them.

Anyone who wishes to make a complaint has the right to contact the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner. This is a free service.

How do I contact the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner?

Aged Care Complaints Commissioner
GPO Box 9848
(Your capital city and state/territory)

What do I include in my complaint?

If you are making a complaint online or over the telephone, you will be guided through the process and told what kind of information you need to give. If you are writing a letter of complaint, make sure it includes:

  • your name, address and telephone number
  • the date you are lodging your complaint
  • details of your complaint, such as specific dates of events
  • the name of the service provider and the state or territory where it is located
  • the name of the person receiving care.

What happens after I lodge a complaint?

If you provide your contact details, you will be contacted to discuss your complaint.

For more information about what happens next, visit the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner website.

Advocacy services

Concerned about the quality of your aged care services and want to speak to someone? An advocacy service may be able to help or provide you with support.

Aged Care Complaints Commissioner

If you're concerned about the aged care or services you receive, you can make a complaint. Find out how the Aged Care Complaints Commissioner can help you.

Last reviewed: 30 June, 2015.