People at a social outing

Social support and activities

Social support services can help you to maintain an active social life by having someone visit you in your home, or by arranging visits and outings in the community. Social support and activities can help you find a place where you feel supported and can help prevent loneliness and isolation.

What types of services are available?

Social support services can include:

  • visits to your home
  • helping you with shopping and other related activities
  • helping you to access support groups and recreational activities.

When do I need social support services?

If you are feeling isolated and you are not sure how to get involved in social activities, then social support services will help you stay socially active.

Community Visitors Scheme

If you are feeling alone and do not benefit from regular contact with family or friends, The Community Visitors Scheme (CVS) can provide an opportunity for social interaction.

The CVS provides visits from volunteers to recipients of Home Care Packages. In each state and territory, CVS organisations have coordinators who will match you with a companion.

A CVS coordinator will take into account things like your interests, hobbies and background in finding a suitable regular visitor for you.

If you would like a community visitor, you can let your aged care provider know. Alternatively, your family and friends can let the provider know if they think you would benefit from the CVS, or your aged care provider might take the initiative and approach the CVS themselves. To find out how you can get in contact with a CVS organisation in your area contact the CVS Network Member in your state or territory or contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

Where do I receive social support services?

In most cases, you will receive these services in your own home, or in the community when you are accessing community services or facilities.

How My Aged Care helps you

My Aged Care helps you find the information you need about aged care services.

This can be as simple as calling the My Aged Care contact centre on 1800 200 422 or reading this website. My Aged Care provides you with information about:

  • the different types of aged care services
  • eligibility for services
  • how we understand your aged care needs and help you find local services to meet your needs - you are able to select your own service provider
  • the cost of your aged care services, including fee estimators.

To perform these activities, the contact centre will seek your consent to create a personalised client record. This will hold up to date information on your needs and any services you receive. The client record will reduce the need for you to retell your story to the contact centre, assessors and service providers. 

How much does it cost?

The Australian Government subsidises a range of aged care services in Australia. If your personal circumstances allow, it is expected you will contribute to the cost of your care if you can afford to do so.

Any fees and eligibility for subsidies will be discussed and agreed upon with your service provider before you receive the relevant services.

Help at home: costs explained

See what others have done

Last reviewed: 30 June, 2015.