Skip to content
For information on the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, visit

Help for older people who are homeless or at risk of being homeless

Under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme there are a number of services to help older people that are homeless or at risk of being homeless as they get older. This might be because they are on a low income or have insecure housing and face challenges finding a place to live that they can call home.


You may be eligible for assistance if:

  • you are aged 50 years or older and are prematurely aged*, on a low income, or 45 years or older for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and are homeless or at risk of being homeless.

You, or your family member, friend or carer can apply for help by calling My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

* People whose life experience – such as active military service, homelessness or substance abuse – have seen them age more quickly than other people.

Services available

Services aim to link you to suitable housing and community support services.

Even if a person is already homeless these services can help link them with options to get back into a house. To work out which services might be available to you, call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

Cost of services

These services are paid for by the Australian Government.

Last reviewed: 13 December, 2017.