Tim's dad, Robert, has lived a pretty full life. He went to war, built his own business and raised a family. His wife passed away a few years ago, so Tim put a caravan out the back of his place so Robert didn't have to live by himself.
Robert's eyesight started to get worse though and he couldn't drive anymore. He also needed more help with personal care. Both Tim and Robert knew they needed to find somewhere Robert could get some more support.
Tim wasn't quite sure where to start, so he went online to have a look. He came across the phone number for My Aged Care and decided to call them so he could ask more detailed questions. Robert is now waiting for an assessment and he has started shortlisting some homes with Tim.
- Tim's dad Robert needed to move into an aged care home (sometimes known as nursing home).
- Tim searched on the My Aged Care website for information about how much it was going to cost.
- He knew his dad would need to meet with a member from an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) to work out exactly what type of care he needed, so he found some information on that too.
- Together, Tim and Robert made a list of things that were important to them in an aged care home.
- They used the website to look online for local homes and then visited a few that they liked.
- Once Robert received his ACAT approval letter and found out he was eligible for care in an aged care home, Tim and his dad were able to put in applications at a couple of homes of their choice.
The examples on this site are based on real people and their experiences
Last reviewed: 30 June, 2015.