Skip to content
For information on the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, visit
Carer and aged care home resident in wheelchair

Aged care costs for people who have received compensation

What if I get compensation for an injury or illness?

If you receive compensation for an injury or illness that resulted in you moving into an aged care home or needing some help around the home, the amount you pay for the aged care services you receive may be affected.

You and your legal representative need to be aware that if you receive money to compensate you for the injury or illness, the related aged care costs paid by the Australian Government must be repaid.

If your compensation claim includes payment for help around the home or aged care home costs, the Australian Government may need to vary its contribution to your aged care costs.

You may also need to use a compensation award to pay for your future aged care costs.

The amount needed to pay for your care costs will vary depending on a number of factors. It is important that you and/or your legal representative consider your past and future aged care costs as part of your compensation claim.

For more information about how past aged care costs are repaid, email

If you need more information about future aged care costs, please email the Department of Health.

Last reviewed: 12 April, 2017.