Police checks for aged care workers

To make sure older people are safely and properly cared for, the Australian Government has put a number of measures in place, including national criminal history record checks (also known as police checks).

All staff working in residential and home aged care services who have supervised or unsupervised access to care recipients must obtain a police check. All volunteers that are likely to have unsupervised access to care recipients must also obtain a police check.

You can read more about the police certificate guidelines for aged care providers and how the police check works on the Department of Social Services website. The guidelines have been developed to help aged care providers manage police certificate requirements.